Top 10 tips for baby essentials without blowing your budget
- You don't always need name brands. I was a regular visitor in my local boots when Maxi was a baby and one way they helped me save money was by offering me top notch own brand alternatives at a fraction of the price.
- I always took advantage of the bulk buying opportunities that were about before my new baby came. I had a stockpile of wipes, nappies and other basics long before Maxi or Mini arrived.
- Shop the sales. We bought clothes in the sales in next years sizes at a fraction of the cost.
- Breast is best - Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for around the first six months of your baby's life. Not only is the healthiest option for your baby, but the good news is it's free and unless you choose to express, doesn't need any accessories.
- Think about value or cost per use. We bought both the boys expensive high chairs, but they are still using these chairs ten years later! Yes ten years later. Making their cost per use negligible. They have been one of our best baby investments ever. We also bought cot beds that turned in to junior beds.
- Shop smart: Make the most of 'baby events' and promotions
- Make the most of your reward card points and parenting club offers. We joined every parenting club we could find!
- Be clear about what you need. We were very lucky and friends and family all chipped n buying us some wonderful gifts.
- Do you need it? Think twice about whether or not you will actually use something I am ashamed to say we had baby clothes still with tags that the boys grew out of before they could ware them. Tiny babies so not need a huge wardrobe and as much as little shoes look adorable babies don't need shoes and they tended to kick them off!
- Second hand isn't second best. There are many people like us who bought things that their babies didn't wear or wore very lightly and you can pick up real bargains.
Boots Baby are currently celebrating their 125 birthday and to celebrate this landmark year, Boots baby have created the #BootsBaby125Years celebration film. A look back through the archives and the personal journeys of families through the years.
It is now even easier to budget for a baby with online shopping. You can view the Boots Baby range online and order by 6pm and collect from your chosen store at 12pm the following day.
What are your top tips for budgeting for a baby?